Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

why I am who I am...our little love story

Before I begin, let me just say, this is my story of how God changed my life. I know that it is only by the grace of God that I have been redeemed and I am so so thankful that I get to spend my life with the person who was the means through which God changed me. So here it is...

Dear Andrew,

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

When we first meet I was fourteen. I was young, insecure, searching for approval, and I at least called myself a Christian. We shared first & second period together and your locker was right above mine. We had this funny, back & forth practical joke, ask each other what time it was kind of start. I liked you immediately. Although we remained "just friends" for about two years. And I am so so thankful for those two years because I had no idea what I was doing. I'm not sure you really did either, but you knew the manual. You walked your life in line with Jesus and measured everything up with Scripture. I had no idea what I was getting into but I sure was following. Because the truth is, at that point in my life, I would have followed anyone. It scares me to think about how easily easily easily I was influenced. And humbles me beyond measure with gratitude that God put you in my path. You showed me how Truth and Grace beautifully combine in my Savior. You showed me that my identity is in Christ alone. You showed me that there is a Friend for me that is closer than any brother. And all this while we were "just friends"!

Then one night you popped the question. Or in your case, made a statement in which you did not box yourself in at all but still put the ball in my court. :) It went something like this..."I don't really want to go to prom, but I'll take you if you want. Or we can just go out." How could I resist such charm? And so we went out. Rio Bravo and Life is Beautiful. You put your arm around me and I remember thinking, don't sob on your first date. Which was hard because that movie was supremely sad! And off we went.

For the next three years we dated. Really it was a sweet progression of our friendship building and growing and deepening. It definitely wasn't always easy. We had lots of rough patches and bumps in our road but it was surely all worth it. Through those years I went from following Jesus because I saw Him in you to following Him because I learned He was with me. God showed me His love through you. Those years of dating were so defining for us but maybe even more defining for me. I am who I am because of you. Because you pointed me to Christ, prayed for me, guarded my heart, led me, loved me with patience and a love that wasn't self-serving.

Fast forward five years and I am 19. You pop the BIG question in much more eloquent fashion and I say yes. Yes to my best friend. Yes to a life I couldn't even dream about. Yes to a future certain of only one thing. We will abide in the Love of our Savior, die to ourselves, and continue on the journey together. You will never know to the fullest how thankful I am for you. Because you were (and still are) the means through which God changed my life. I've said it before, and I will say it many more times I'm sure. I am who I am because of you. You love me as Christ commands, as He loves the Church, as Scripture teaches through 1 Corinthians 13. This journey we are on is always surprising me in the best of ways and I love walking it with you.

I love you, and thank you.

5 comments:

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

I love this so much. Every bit of it makes me happy.

keLi said...

so thankful, like you, for the men who waded through it with us when we "thought we were christians." great post!

Unknown said...

so happy that you found this best friend. it's just the best, isn't it?!?

sarah said...

Ash. Love all of it! You guys are such an example of God's faithfulness!

dina said...

I love love stories! and this, all of it, how faithful is the God we adore to bring us into love that winks of His!